Best time for safari Tanzania
|Best time to go:||June to October (All parks), June-July and January-February (Serengeti for the wildebeest migration & calving)|
|High Season:||July to March (northern circuit parks; they get crowded), July to October (southern and western circuit parks; they don’t really get crowded any time of the year)|
|Low Season:||April and May (northern circuit parks still get quite a few visitors unlike the southern and western circuit parks, where many lodges close down)|
|Best Weather:||June to October (Little to no rainfall)|
|Worst Weather:||March and April (Peak of wet season)|
June to October – Dry Season
Dry Season Photos
- June and July are the best months to see the wildebeest migration.
- Animals are easier to spot since they concentrate around waterholes and rivers and there is less vegetation.
- There are fewer mosquitoes because there is little to no rain. Skies are clear and most days are sunny.
- Even though most tourists visit during the dry season, the parks still don’t feel crowded, except for the Seronera area in the Serengeti and the Ngorongoro Crater.
- Mornings and nights get cold. It’s recommended to bring warm clothing for morning game drives in open vehicles during the months of June, July and August.
November to May – Wet Season
- Late January to February is the time to see the calving in the southern Serengeti. This is an excellent time to see predator action.
- The scenery is green and beautiful. It’s low season, meaning lower rates and less crowded parks.
- Although wildlife is easier to spot in the dry season, you’ll still see plenty and most northern circuit parks offer good year-round game viewing.
- Migratory birds are present and birdwatching is at its best.
- Except for March, April and May, rains are mostly short afternoon showers and seldom have a negative impact on your trip.
- March to May is the peak of the wet season.
- Most big wildlife has migrated out of Tarangire NP and game viewing in Katavi, Selous and Ruaha is clearly better during the dry season.
The Serengeti and the Ngorongoro Crater offer good wildlife viewing throughout the year. June and July are the best months for seeing the migration and February is the best month for the wildebeest calving. The dry months offer good game viewing throughout Tanzania. Tarangire and the southern and western circuit parks (including Katavi, Selous and Ruaha) are best visited in the dry season, from June to October.